Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Shawl for Sister


Big sister has been *****dying****** for a shawl of her very own, ever since I knit this version as a prayer shawl for a friend of mine. Her requirements? Bright orange, and sparkly, of course. Luckily, I came across the perfect yarn in Cannon Beach, at Coastal Yarns during my birthday shop hop down the Oregon Coast:


Tomato by Crock-O-Dye


She even wanted the same pattern - the Oaklet Shawl by Megan Goodacre. I've had quite bit of knitting time on my hands, lately, thanks to my very first ever bout with bronchitis (nasty, nasty stuff), and I was able to get this cast one, finished up and blocked in only about 4 days.
Just like before, I used a garter stitch tab at the start to give it a little more stability. First, I cast on 3 stitches and then knitted 6 rows (garter stitch). After the last row (without turning) I rotated the work 90 degrees, and then picked up 3 stitches along the side in each of the three garter row bumps, then three stitches along the bottom edge. This made 9 stitches total on my needle, and then I started with Row 1 of the pattern.

I also added some size 6/0 seed beads (orange, peach, pink mix) to give it a little sparkle, on the following rows:
Chart B:
Row 2, Stitch 24.
Row 10, Stitches 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32 and 36.
Row 18: Stitches 16, 24, and 32.

I used the crochet hook method (worked well) - This shawl took almost the entire skein of yarn, and I ended up having to cast off a couple of rows early in order to finish. But, it turned out very well.....Here she is modeling the finished product!





http://ravel.me/cdanielshafer/os2

No comments:

Post a Comment